Welcome to H2, the Java SQL database. The main feature of H2 are:
* Very fast, open source, JDBC API
* Embedded and server modes; in-memory databases
* Browser based Console application
* Small footprint: around 1 MB jar file size
Such a database fit's perfectly for a current task at tunesBag - the streaming servers should store some data on their own machines and mysql or postgresql just would be overkill for this task. So I decided to give H2 a look and it looks pretty nice.
On my local machine I'm working with ColdFusion 8 as well - the configuration to add H2 support for CF is very easy, just follow the following steps:
- Download the latest version of H2
- Drop the h2*.jar file in the WEB-INF/lib directory of your ColdFusion server (directory depends on your type of setup)
- Restart CF
- Add a new datasource
- JDBC URL = jdbc:h2:file:%Path to Database file on your disk%
- Driver Class = org.h2.Driver
- Driver name = default
- User name = sa
That's it - the files holding the data will be created automatically for you. Take a look at the H2 tutorial in order to find out more (e.g. server mode etc).